Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It's going to come out one way or another

I have to do a poster presentation Saturday for my class on Adult Learning. I'm comparing bell hooks with Gregory Cajete. After about 3 months studying and reading and gazing longingly at my jewelry table, I'm about to go nuts. Writing is fun, but it's just not the same as art.

So, as you might be able to tell from my poster so far, I've gotten a tad carried away with the imagery. The profound words of wisdom will go in the center. (HAHA, that shouldn't take long...)


I was so thrilled about the idea until I started cutting out their heads. And then, well, it felt a little risky. I don't want it to look like I'm poking fun. But a picture really does paint a thousand words, much more here than what I could type into the same space.
bell hooks' clothes are made out of a Life magazine article on the Kings written shortly after ML King was assassinated. She will eventually be holding a microphone and a pen, hopefully large enough to distinguish. They seem to be her preferred creativity tools. Her hat is made of a building at Berea College where she now teaches. Rather regal doncha think? She's standing on a picture of Kentucky, where she was born and now lives again. To the right are covers from her books on education.

Gregory Cajete is standing on a picture of Santa Clara Pueblo where he grew up, and he is holding a drawing he made for one of his books. It's a drawing that would take awhile to explain. Suffice to say it's a representation of a self-actualized human being. And his clothing is made from an article (in the same Life magazine) on the environment.

Let's see -- oh yes, the quotations are what they want to contribute to higher education (mostly in terms of diversity and access) and down near the bottom I'm making a river in light blue -- their feet will be touching the river. And here's my "signature" -- I'm going to be swimming in the river...

~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments:

  1. Mary, I follow your blog and bought some crow feather earrings from you.
    I love your wit and observations.
    I am retired from a long stretch in the community college system and I have to tell you how much I enjoyed seeing your posters. bell hooks.. not an everyday topic.

    Teaching and learning using all your skills and talents is the most amazing thing. Enjoy being in the blue river..!

    Joan Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joan! I had a feeling we had things in common. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that so beats a power point presentation!!! Well done! It will make an impact and it will sit in the minds of your class!
    When do you finish, so you can play? Soon I hope!
    Cheers, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a lot of work, good goin'.

    Jenny (of Ladybugcircus)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! It will be reviewed and posted ASAP.