Sunday, July 12, 2009

International Folk Art Market photos

Wow! So much classier than the decor at the Econolodge! The Santa Fe International Folk Art Market was a feast for the eyes. And for humble handworkers like us, it was such a treat to meet friendly, talented crafters from all over the world. However . . . my feet are really mad at me right now, and I don't think we made it through more than 2/3 of the booths before the crowds did me in and Sarah and I parted ways hasta next time.




So, can you spot the volunteer in these photos? ;-) Just kidding -- she was such a sweetheart, and so willing, I couldn't resist taking her picture too. The two women artisans are from different places in Bolivia. The woman sitting on the ground is an Ayoreo Indian. She is making clothing and purses by needle weaving pounded bromeliad fibers.

The volunteer, I was told when I paid for a little plate from Uzbekistan, was one of a whopping 1,400 who help at the event, handling everything from parking to payments to assisting artists in their booths, an especially gracious touch that helps to bridge cultural and language barriers.

~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! It will be reviewed and posted ASAP.