Sunday, August 10, 2008

What's in Those Watercolors?

OMG, I was kidding when I said in the previous post that they put sugar in everything. But apparently they do!

I found this wonderful site, humbly named The World's Finest Guide to Watercolor Painting, by Bruce MacEvoy. Did you know they often put corn syrup into watercolor paints? The corn syrup acts as a humectant, drawing in moisture (and, in the previous post, ANTS) and making it easier to re-moisturize the paint when you're ready to paint with it.

In Paints > How Watercolor Paints Are Made, I clicked on the subsection called Paint Ingredients, where MacEvoy includes this graphic, in case ya don't blieve me about the corn syrup!
While you're on the site, grab a cup of coffee and spend a little time at the website exploring the other sections. They are really well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! It will be reviewed and posted ASAP.