On the one hand you've got your basic non-woven polyester backing, such as Lacy's Stiff Stuff, Sova's Bead Backing (disclaimer: I wrote the product description as a favor to Rita), or my own...no name stuff, which I got at a lowrider supply shop.
On the other hand you've got Eazy Felt.
(Or, I notice that Rita is carrying a similar product by Darice called Stiff Felt that is .89 for a 9" x 12" sheet.)
Like the big backings, Eazy Felt is:
- sturdy enough to be worked without a hoop
- doesn't fray
- won't tear
- cuts easily with scissors
- easy to stitch through
- is available online
- costs well under $1.00 for a whopping 12" x 18" sheet (even without a coupon)
- is available at the big box craft stores
- comes in a vast array of colors (like a dozen or more)
- COMES IN LEOPARD PRINT! Oh, and camoflauge too...