Sunday, September 6, 2009

More about Johanna and the Beetle Wings

Johanna Seppa really brightened my Sunday morning with an email follow-up about herself and her finished necklace she'd promised to show me. I had asked her to tell me a bit about herself and her inspiration for using the elytra beetle wings she purchased from my Etsy shop. The necklace pictured here matches the earrings I posted earlier.

Johanna says . . .
I am Johanna Seppa from Finland. I was asked to tell something about myself and my jewellery. Well, it is just a hobby. I am an archaeologist and I have made replicas of stone age tools for museums. I like to use very primitive materials also for my jewellery, something weird, wonderful and exotic. I was very happy to find these insect wings, they were just perfect! I use modern materials too. I like to find new purpose for old things and make recycled and found objects jewellery from all the “trash” I collect.
It’s so much fun to play with lots of colours and shapes. Some of my other hobbies are felting, freeform crochet, basketry and quilting. I especially like to combine different techniques. I’m sorry I don’t yet have a blog of my own, but I am glad I had this opportunity to
introduce myself to you all!

I made the earrings and necklace using organic materials only, nettle string, parrot feathers, different jungle seeds, bone beads and beetle elytra.

I wanted to have something that reminds me of the Amazon jungle.
Thank you Johanna for the inspiration -- and for sharing how your jewelry designs are connected to your life's work.
~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! It will be reviewed and posted ASAP.