Sunday, July 25, 2010

Little Birdie Going Away Card

Friday night we threw a small going away party for two dear friends, and as I was tidying up before everyone came over, I happened to pick up this little pile of collaged cards I made this summer. Actually, I wasn't sure if they were finished but this one was on the top and it looked just perfect for them so I decided it was done.

Here's how I made the card:
  1. The paper is brown craft card stock.
  2. For the background, I cut out an image from a 1940's National Geographic, using deckling scissors. The proportions happened to be perfect for the craft card.
  3. Then I burnished on some rub on flourishes.
  4. I was not too pleased with the way the fourishes transferred at the right side, so later on I covered the booboo area with a handmade layered flower. I punched a larger flower from scrap paper, then with a dimensional foam adhesive dot I attached a smaller punched flower. The paper was leftover from my recycled envelope-making.
  5. I also punched out 3 stars from a vintage book page, and glued on some pearl rhinestones. I attached the flowers with foam dots, too.
  6. I cut out the girl and boy from photocopies of my vintage postcards. They had been reduced in size. I attached them with foam dots for a raised look. I used 2 different sizes of dots so I could raise their little arms and legs too!
  7. At some point I stamped around the background image with Staz-on inks, in subtle colors. I was toying with the idea of doing more stamping . . .
This process might seem like a lot of effort and different steps and materials, but because I made several similar cards at the same time, it was a question of cutting and punching several similar items at one time, and then assembling them for each card. Everything except the birds were leftover from other projects.
Nice way to build a theme and get a bunch of work done. I just kept adding each similar component to each card in the same order, with variations (e.g., I had several images of children in various sizes, placing them in different positions on each card), without really knowing where I was going. Or when to stop! LOL.
~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! It will be reviewed and posted ASAP.