Thursday, March 29, 2012

Antique Turkoman Earrings

Here are the earrings I mentioned in Saturday's update. They are about 150 years old.


I love the hand cut silver sheet and the simple design. These are quite large (about 3 inches tall) and the wire loop was formed from the same piece of metal -- cut to a very narrow width, then worked to roll it into a wire. One of the wires broke I guess, and was soldered to the back. The stones were probably carnelian originally. It looks like they were replaced with turquoise beads cut in half.

Apparently 150 years ago the women had bigger holes in their ears than we do today. ;-) Because even with my stretched out almost-granny lobes, I cannot get them in. So my plan is to cut each wire shorter, form a loop, and then connect my own handmade silver earring wires to the loop.
~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. I've done that kind of earring mod, with some vintage earrings that were soldered onto screws. It should work for these.

    Those are very nice earrings indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! It will be reviewed and posted ASAP.